Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rhinebeck Report - Picture Heavy Post

After months of anticipation, the New York Sheep and Wool Festival finally arrived (358 days 'til next year - I think). This was my first year attending the festival and I was accompanied by two wonderful people - Mom and Joyce.

It was wonderful. As warned, it was a little overwhelming for me as a first timer. We got there at 9:00 on the dot and scored a pretty close parking spot at the 4H gate. We hit the bathroom first thing, but then went straight for the yarn.

I must admit though, I think the highlight of the trip, for me, was being able to try two spinning wheels: the Ashford Traditional and the Ashford Traveller. Here I am testing the traveler:
Mom snapped this one without my even knowing it.

This was my first purchase -
- a skein of "Out of the Dyepot" by a company called Reflections on Roclans.* The colorway caught my eye immediately, which is no surprise considering that greens and blues are what always seem to jump out at me. What was surprising was that everything else that caught my eye throughout the day wasn't in the blue-green family.

After my first purchase we went through the vendor barns with the look of a deer facing headlights. Everything was gorgeous. It was hard to pick out what was "extra-gorgeous"... if there is such a thing. For non-knitting items, I bought a two beautiful glass buttons which will, inevidently be used for felted clutch bags or purses of some sort. And a gorgeous hand-woven basket
- to store my gorgeous yarns in.

For yarn purchases, I tried to look for things that I probably wouldn't find at my LYS. I think I was successful. I bought 500 yards of rayon silk in a gorgeous autumn colorway...
600 yards of a 100% wool hand-dyed yarn which I plan to make the Hemlock Ring Blanket with.

And being an aspiring spinner, I bought myself some beautiful fiber, which I wil
l probably hold on to until I become better with my technique (and buy a spinning wheel. This is a lot of fiber to spin on a drop spindle!). First, a half pound of a gorgeous colorway:
It is the size of a nice travel pillow. The navy in it really caught my attention, although this picture doesn't show it off terribly well. And my last purchase: 4 oz. of a similar colorway called Melted Crayons: I can't wait to be an expert spinner!

Now, my trip to Rhinebeck would not have been complete without a little bit of
Ravelry wiggled in there. I was able to retrieve my t-shirt that I had ordered from them a month or so ago. I was also given this awesome pin to sport wherever I go. If you are on Ravelry, come friend me!

*The pictures do not do the colors of these yarns justice!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Love the picture of the sheep in the parking lot! I was there, but didn't get my camera out.