Thursday, June 21, 2007

It's True

I've heard it said over and over again that once you learn to make socks you will never go back to buying socks from Target or Walmart or any other generic sock place. Although I haven't quite finished my first ever pair of hand-knit socks, I do believe I may be on this pathway to "homemade-only socks allowed".

Tonight I went to my first knitting class. My first home-made sock now looks like this:
or for those who can't quite picture it yet... a picture of the sock on my foot.

I am very excited. I have about 1.5 - 2 inches left of homework to do before my next/last class. I think I will be casting on for the second sock of the pair before next Thursday. Granted, they are a little big (I think they will make great indoor winter I-want-to-mope-around-the-house socks)... but these were class socks, meant to learn the technique of Magic Loop which I hope I have conquered and will never have to touch DPNs again! Oh, the excitement.

AND... I've already picked out the pattern for my next pair of socks which will most likely accompany me on my plane ride to Disney World in nine days.

3 comments:

Aileen said...

Woooooo! Good for you! Sock knitting is truly addictive. I have just started a pair of monkeys myself and I'm happy to report that the pattern is easy to memorise and working up really quickly. Can't wait to see your first finished sockola!

Debby said...

Congratulations! Your sock looks great.

I'm glad to read you're feeling better too.

Peggy Morse said...

I'm responding to a much older post. :>) The one about the Little Red Spinning Wheel. We were cleaning out my mother's attic this weekend and I found my old Little Red Spinning Wheel! It was still in it's original box, but unfortunately is missing it's parts. Can you tell me what parts I should have? I only have the spinning wheel. Also, if you can tell me what the 'string' that winds around the wheel is made of. I hope to re-create it, in hopes of seeing if this old wheel will still spin!