Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Procrastination at Its Best

Considering I have my first exam of the semester in the morning, I probably should be studying. However, since I have been preparing for the exam the majority of today I feel I need to take a break... and write to you.

The Harlot in Brooklyn

Like I said in my last post, this past weekend I went home. On Satur
day evening, after a long day of car shopping (for Dad), Daddy and I ventured into Brooklyn to find the Barnes and Noble where supposedly the famous (at least among Knitters EVERYWHERE) Yarn Harlot, a.k.a. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.

For those of you who have never been or have only been once or twice: There is no other place in the world quite like New York.
There is something unique about it and to me it has that feeling of coming home whenever I go into the city.

We made it to the Barnes and Nobles two minutes before the event was supposed to begin. Fortunately for me, Stephanie was later than I have been stuck in an hour and a half commute from Manhattan to Brooklyn (it shouldn't take this long)! She gave a hilarious talk that even my muggle father (who wouldn't admit it if you asked him) enjoyed.

And then the best part.... I got to meet her and get my picture taken with THE SOCK!
She also took my picture. If you read her blog, you know that other people had been knitting her the states that they were from, so I decided to knit Stephanie Connecticut. And since I came up with this idea the night before meeting her I figured I could accomplish this task since Connecticut is basically a square with a small little rectangle attached at an angle to the lower left-hand corner. I finished it in time, weaving in the ends on the car ride there. She hadn't received Connecticut from anyone else yet. It was a happy moment. She signed three of my books. And she happened to notice that in her book At Knit's End: Meditations for Women who Knit Too Much I had marked a page. I don't remember marking a page for any specific reason so I was just as curious as she was to find out was on that page. It said the following:
"I hear tell of knitters who do not have a stash of yarn. They purchase yarn for a project, knit that project to completion, and then purchase the yarn for the next project. They do not have closets, bins, bags, shelves, and freezers dedicated to the storage of wool, and they have never left a yarn store with anything that they hadn't decided to buy ahead of time," (236).

Perhaps the reason I had marked this passage was because in the beginning of my Knitting career I used to be that knitter. I would knit a project and finish it before I began a second one. Now I have 2-3 projects on my needle with 4-5 waiting to be started. Thus is the life of an obsessive knitter.

No comments: