Thursday, June 22, 2006

I'm a Toys R US Kid!

Let's take a break from Jerusalem, from Israel. A break for just one post - because I'm not in Israel right now (unfortunately) and there is stuff going on here at home that I need to write down.

I've been searching for a summer job. I've had no luck because it is nearly the end of June (although it was the start of June when I began this darn search) and no one wants to hire me because I'm going back to school in 2 months (YAY, can't wait!). This is a problem since I have to pay for Purl and for her food. I also need a job for my own sanity. No offense Mom, but I need to get out of the house every once in a while. I love you guys, but I need a change of scenery - a change of enviornment.

I've applied everywhere (even though Mom says otherwise) - even Target. They turned me down. But I'm glad they turned me down because if they really need TWO months to train me how to use the cash register, then I don't want to know - really. I got a card in the mail today from them. It was red on the outside (big surprise?) with their target symbol in the bottom right hand corner. Inside it said this:
Aileen,
Hello, thanks for taking the time to apply with us.
While we're unable to offer you a position at this
time, we do appreciate your interest in Target.
Thank You,
Human Resources
WHAT?! I have no idea what to think of this gesture. You didn't give me the job - fine I'll deal. But sending a note in the mail just seems like they are rubbing in the fact that they didn't hire me. Not to mention that it's corny. So if any of you Target administrators are reading this - which I highly doubt - you might want to tell Mr. Human Resources that I don't want his little card and he can keep all his 30 cash registers empty because they won't hire poor college students.

No, I'm not bitter. Really, I'm not. Instead I'm focusing on my future - my future as a librarian. I requested a catalog and application from the University that I plan to get my masters at tonight. I discovered that yes, I will have to take the GREs in order to be considered for admissions. I realized that I am growing up, and to be quite honest, that's scary.

I am not ready to hold my own job, have my own income and my own massive bills to pay. I have a minor credit card bill that I'm paying off now, but grown-ups have more than one bill to pay. They have the car to pay off, and the cell phone bill to pay, and insurance, and electricity, and food to buy, etc., etc. No Thank You! I will happily live off of my parents - feeding the dog and doing the dishes without complaint. I will keep my newly finished room clean. I will make my bed every day just as long as I don't have to grow up.

My friend Laura is getting married in eight days. She just turned 20. And while she is 100% sure that this is the man for her I am wondering how in the world she is able to do this. The idea of marriage scares me. I can barely take care of myself let alone another person. My mom married when she was 20. I'm almost 22 and marriage is no where in sight. I think that's a good thing.

*Now I've gone and done what I just told my cousin I don't do in my blog - complain and rant about my life. Oh well, guess it has to happen every once in a while.*

No comments: