Saturday, June 17, 2006

Drum Roll Please...

And the Winner Is

There were some great entries for names for the Name My Car contest. We had Silver Bullit, Purl, Stanley, and Subtle Rufus Nosal. And the winner is PURL. Thanks Joyce for your creative suggestion. I loved it (as did the rest of the family). I will send you an email with more details on your prize.

Moving Ahead 7 Hours

So you probably want to hear more about my trip to Israel... or atleast I hope you do - cause I'm going to tell you more whether you like it or not!

May 16, 2006
8:52 PM
Today we began the learning part of the trip - the whole reason I am here. We woke up at 6:00 in order to get breakfast at 7:00 and begin our intro walk of the Old City at 7:30. When I am at school I normally don't get up til 7:30 let alone already have been up for an hour and a half. We toured the Old City of Jerusalem the first half of the day. We went to the place where the tomb of King David is commemorated. Men and Women had to go into separate sides of the room. The men had to wear head coverings. I am not sure why the men had to and the women did not. We also went to the Western Wall and again the men and women had t go on separate sides of the wall. This wall is also known as the Wailing Wall - but Jews do not appreciate this term. This experience was like nothing I've ever experienced before and I am not entirely sure it can be put into words. I was awestruck and I stood there in amazement. This is something that I think the American protestant church has lost - the importance of a holy place and the importance of prayer. The cracks of the Wall are filled with paper that have people's prayers on them. When the cracks are fill up with these prayers they are removed and burned. I think this is beautiful. We also went to St. Anne's which is located in the Muslim quarter of the Old City. The acoustics in the church were absolutely amazing. We sang. We sang both the "Doxology" and "Haleluljah". I have never heard anything so beautiful. Also at this site is supposedly where Jesus healed the lame man in John 5. My mind cannot fully grasp the idea of being somewhere that Jesus performed a miracle at. It just seems so unreal. It's something that I have read about all my life - like in a storybook that one knows will never come true. But it is true and I can't get my mind around it! We grow up being told that they were true, but these events happened in a far away land that most of us will never visit and yet, here I am. They are true and we know where they happened. It is really unbelievable.

Knitting

While I did bring a knitting project with me to Israel there wasn't a whole lot of time to actually sit down and knit. So, as a result, it's been quite a while since I've knit anything. Last night, I finally picked up a project that I'd been working on - the bib. I am nearly done, working on the I-cord tie right now. I will post a picture as soon as I finish it!

No comments: