Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Where the Sidewalk Ends

Finals are coming, whether I like it or not. Last day of classes are tomorrow. I still have 3 papers, 3 exams, and a presentation to get through even after classes are finished. I want the work to be finished. I want the work to be finished so badly. But I am not ready for the school year to be over. I don't know if I'll ever be ready for the school year to be over. Holly said it well when she said, "In spite of what i know, my instinct is to run away and start again." I know that we can't be in college forever. I know that we have to grow up and enter the "real" world, but why did it have to happen so fast? Three of my closest friends (left to right: Polly, Holly, and Linda) are graduating in eleven days. Are they not three of the most gorgeous girls in the whole entire world (sorry, I didn't have 1 picture that had the three of them in it)? You wouldn't want them to be leaving you either, now would you?

Polly is Brazilian. Tonight she made us a traditional Brazilian dinner. she told us that we shouldn't plan on cooking our own meal for tonight by putting this notice on the bathroom mirror - the one place that she knew we would look!She made for us Feijoada, arroz, cole ( collard greens), Plantainas, and Guarada (a type of delicious soda). It was delicious. And I'm not just saying this in case she reads my blog. I stuffed my mouth til I could stuff no more. I will say it again, it was delicious. Fortunately, Polly won't be too far away after she graduates and maybe she can even teach me how to cook a few Brazilian dishes (although I won't guarantee they'll taste as good).

The sidewalk is ending here, whether we want it to or not. We can try to run away and try to do it the way we wish we had. But we will always end up at the end of the sidewalk.

I love you girls.

3 comments:

holly said...

Aileen, that is so beautiful. You are so beautiful. I think I am going to cry now :)
I love you so much.
H

Anonymous said...

if you step on the cracks in the sidewalk, you have to go back and do it again. i'm going to have to jump over this last section of concrete, cause if i don't gradumatate i still won't get to live in your apartment! but i'll be around, so i'll be there anyway. uh, anyway...

love you, lovely lady!

--linda : )

Polly said...

I'm the last one of the triumvirate to answer! lol. That was so deep about coming to the end no matter whether you want to do it over or not...that's how I feel! There's so much that I wish I could do over, either to fix or to relive, but that's in the past. All that's left is to make this next week the best week ever!!!

love you Aileen! :-)