Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Those Beautiful Ashes...

Knitting news is at a minimum lately. I was able to work a little on my mom's scarf today, but I still have a long way to go still. My yarn is shipping tomorrow from the UK for my lace scarf that I plan to knit as my long term project. It's been a while since I've had a long term project. I love knitting those felted purses, but they sure do knit up quickly - as my family can attest.

In other areas of my life... today is Ash Wednesday. Growing up in a non-denominational protestant church we had never observed Ash Wednesday. I took an interest in it when my aspiring catholic friends were telling me about it. I read up on it and learned quite a bit! Ash Wednesday begins the season of Lent. It occurs 40 days before Easter, excluding Sundays. The priest or minister marks the forehead of each participant with black ashes, in the shape of a cross, which the worshipper traditionally retains until washing it off after sundown. It signifys repentence before God. The ashes are prepared by burning palm leaves from the previous year's Palm Sunday celebrations and mixing them with olive oil as a fixative. I was blessed today with ashes today for the first time. It's hard to see the cross shape of the ashes because I managed to smudge them before this picture was taking. It was a truly meaningful experience. I was so excited - can't you tell!

Spring break has begun, but I'm still at school. Hopefully Sarah and I will be heading home around 6 tomorrow night, but according to Mom and Dad the weather is supposed to be bad. Please hope it will be safe enough to drive home. I miss my family terribly - and besides I must go back and continue to guide my sister along the path of "I want to learn to knit!"

1 comment:

carolynem said...

your picture made me (almost) cry