Wednesday, February 15, 2006

To Knit or Not to Knit

This is obviously not the question! This answer is obviously clear... TO KNIT! - which seems to be all I'm doing lately (although I'm still keeping up with my school work miraculously). With the Knitting Olympics ending in 10 days 18 hours and counting, time is slowly disappearing. In order to stay on schedule I need to finish the first of the purses tonight. I've got seven more rows and then I need to knit the handles which won't take too long. I think I can do it!! Here's a picture of it shown on top of my beautiful Vera Bradley duffel bag that I got for Christmas from my wonderful Mom! OH! I get to go home this weekend! I am so excited. For those of you who don't know me, I love my family. And while I am fan of being away at school, I can't stay away forever. We've got an fun-filled weekend with ordering in Chinese food and shopping at the top of our list (with maybe even a little bit of yarn shopping)! So I plan of leaving the felting of this purse for this weekend when I will be able to do it without paying a $1. Oh, the joys of being able to go home! I love you Mommy (and Laurel)!

So yesterday, was Valentine's Day and since I (and the rest of my apartment) didn't have a valentine to celebrate with we went to see Brokeback Mountain! I mean, what better than some gay cowboys and a bunch of single Christian girls celebrating the worst holiday ever?! I went because it was something to do. I knew it had been nominated for a lot of grammies, but wasn't dying (hehe) to see it. After seeing it, I realized why all those nominations were going to Brokeback Mountain. It is an amazing movie, and a much better love story than most Chick-flicks. It was so good, that Franklin Habit quoted one of his friends as saying, "We just came from the movies. He was trying to knit a sock during Brokeback Mountain and he cried so hard the damn thing felted." Can you imagine how hard you'd have to cry to FELT a sock?! And while I personally didn't cry (I did get teary-eyed), I can tell you it was that good of a movie. I really recommend it to all. BTW, Franklin's Blog is wonderful, I suggest if you are reading my blog you should read his also.

I discovered podcasts. More importantly, I have discovered that there is a world of knitting podcasts, and I believe that I have only begun to discover all of them that are available to me. I've downloaded 4 different knitting related podcasts - so far. My favorite is Cast-On by Brenda Dayne, but I have barely begun to look at the others (You can find her episodes on her website or on itunes). Since many of them are 45 minutes to an hour long and since I don't have this amount of time to just sit and listen to a podcast, I have still to look at the different ones that I have downloaded. I have also been enjoying About Time with Whit Larson - especially since she was so fortunate to be able to do an over-the-phone interview with THE YARN HARLOT concerning the Knitting Olympics. It was really interesting to hear Stephanie (that's her real name) talk about her super idea of the knitting olympics.

Oh my goodness, here I am writing away on my blog (my second favorite past-time) and the clock is clicking. I need to finish this purse (my first favorite past-time). There are only four more hours left in the night...

3 comments:

holly said...

you can do it, aileen!!! just keep knitting, just keep knitting! :)
hugs from
the girl in the other room ;)

wendy said...

Hi,thanks for dropping by...the pattern for the bag can be found here.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77314598@N00/sets/932023/

elewa said...

Don't worry! I'm very nervous too, but I'm sure you'll finish it at time! (But what i'm doing here? I have to knit!!) Bye