Sunday, February 19, 2006

Son of a Knitter...

Or rather Sister of a Knitter... cause my sister learned how to knit this weekend! You don't understand how exciting this is! I tried to teach her once before and it just didn't work. Maybe it was because it was 2 AM or she just didn't have the interest then, but me as the teacher and her as the student just was not working that night. What made her change her mind? Let me recall the events of yesterday:

I went home for the weekend to see my lovely family (which you already knew from reading my previous entry). Since my time was limited we got up real early to begin our fun-filled day of errands - real early meaning 9:00am. We went to the mall arriving at 10am and were heading home by 11:30. We decided to stop off at Stitch n Time... the local yarn store. Laurel and Dad stayed in the car, hoping to speed up the process of Mom and I perusing the store. We quickly found what we needed (yarn for a scarf for Mom!) and off we went. Having to run errands in another part of the state, and knowing of a yarn store there that we had yet to visit, we decided to stop. It's a wonderful shop in Fairfield (for those of you who live in Connecticut) called KnottyGirl (pretty clever, huh?). Laurel and Dad decided to join us this time and it wasn't long before Laurel had found some beautiful yarn that she wanted ME to make into a scarf. But already having my projects for the knitting olympics as well as a whole list of projects for after the olympics planned, it would be summer before I started this scarf. And then... she suggested that she knit this scarf! HALLELUJAH! That night we wound the yarn (with the wonderful yarn winder and swift that the lovely Joyce let me borrow) and got to the teaching part. And this time WE SUCCEEDED! Isn't she cute, concentrating so hard?!

On another note, being home I was able to felt THREE purses. They came out wonderfully. The Cascade Pastaza yarn that the green purse was made with felts beautifully with a really neat texture. The red one I think may be my favorite. It is for Meg, my freshmen year roomate/blogging expert. Hopefully I made it big enough so she can carry all her essentials in it. The pink one (named the Elephant purse by Laurel) came out better than I had thought it would. It was an order for someone I didn't know so I hope they like it as much as I liked making it. I will begin my last placed order/last part of my knitting olympics project tomorrow. I haven't actually decided which pattern I want to go with. It's for my Aunt and she said to surprise her with the pattern. I'm considering a pattern in the new felting book I bought the other day.

Oh, possibly the most exciting part of the weekend: Dad winding my yarn. He insisted that I needed help. I think he enjoyed turning the crank a little too much (I love you Daddy!). He was kind enough to look on ebay.com for yarn winders and swifts so that I can one day own one. Although I do very much appreciate Joyce letting me borrow hers.(Does anyone know anything about swifts made out of maplewood? What's the best kind of wooden swift to buy?) He may not look happy in this picture, but I promise you that he is loving it! I think we may have yet another knitter emerging from our family tree...

1 comment:

holly said...

Laurel and Gunnery! Yay! :) You are amazing--your whole family is gettin' into the yarn thang!