Thursday, February 02, 2006

Gosh Yarn It!

So I am officially the nerdiest knitter ever! I was sitting in my Historical Geography class this morning -- we're studying the geography of Biblical times -- and I realized as we were going over the surrounding Geo-political entities of Israel that I was thinking about this topic, but I was also thinking about how these geo-political entities related to knitting! You are probably wondering what possible connections there could between the geo-political entities of Israel and the knitting that you and I both know so well. Well, here it goes... We were asked to turn our Bibles to 2 Kings 3:4 which is talking about the King of Moab. It reads as follows: "Now Mesha king of Moab raised sheep, and he had to supply the king of Israel with a hundred thousand lambs and with the wool of a hundred thousand rams." My first thought was not why is the King Mesa giving the king of Israel all these lambs, but rather it was "Imagine all the wool (and thus yarn) one hundred thousands lambs and one hundred thousand rams could produce!!!!" I would have been one happy knitter if I were the king of Israel! I imagine 100,000 sheep and rams would look like this picture, but multiplied by a lot!!

It doesn't end here! We moved on to talk about the geo-political entity of Phoenicia. Did you know that the name Phoenicia comes from the greek word phoinix, meaning purple red? The reason for this names was the famous purple red dye of the Murex snail that was produced in this region. And then I thought, that purple red dye would go awfully well with those two hundred thousand lambs and rams that the king of Israel had! The king of Israel needed to meet the king of Phoenicia, whoever he was!

1 comment:

holly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.