Friday, February 10, 2006

Faster, Higher, Stronger

Citius, Altius, Fortius aka Faster, Higher, Stronger is the motto of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy. It is also the motto for the 2006 Knitting Olympics, both of which begin today!
These two creatures are the mascots of the 2006 Winter Olympics. Neve is a gentle, kind and elegant snowball. Gliz is a lively, playful ice cube. Although the Knitting Olympics may not have as cool of a mascot as Neve and Gliz, we are superior to the Winter Olympics in that we have over 4000 Olympians registered. (There are ONLY 2400 people in the Winter Olympics). I am officially signed up with my co-Knitting Olympians - the second of two Aileen's listed. The other Aileen is from Ireland. I hope to complete the three of the purses I received as orders for my olympic project. The yarn for them came the other day so I am all set to begin. Oh! If you are participating in the Knitting Olympics (officially registered or not) please let me know. I'm curious who took up the challenge. And if you are taking up the challenge, please make sure you raise your right hand and say the Knitting Olympics Athletes Pledge:

I, a knitter of able hands and quick wits, to hereby swear that over the course of these Olympics I will uphold the highest standard of knitterly excellence.
I will be deft of hand and sure of pattern, I will overcome troubles of yarn overs and misplaced decreases. I will use the gifts of intelligence and persistence (as well as caffeine and chocolate) and I will execute my art to the highest form, carrying with me the hope for excellence known to every knitter.
I strive to win. To do my best, and to approach the needles with my own best effort in mind, without comparing myself to my fellow knitters, for they have challenges unique to them.
While I engage in this pursuit of excellence and my own personal, individual best, I also swear that I will continue to engage with my family in conversation, care for my pets, speak kindly with those who would ask me to do something other than knit, and above all, above every stitch thrown or picked, above every cable, every heel stitch, every change of colour, I swear this:
That I will remember that this is not the real Olympics, that I'm supposed to be having fun and that my happiness and self-worth ride not on my success.... but on my trying.
Let the games begin!

On a separate note, I went into Boston this weekend and bought a felted pattern book by Beverly Galeskas. It has some really neat projects in it. I can't wait til I have some time to make everything in it! Perhaps over Spring Break (which is in 27 days!). By then the knitting olympics will be over, and hopefully that means that my 3 purses will be finished. I'll have to think about what I'll want to start then - 'cause heavenforbid my hands be without knitting needles for very long. In the mean time I must focus on the ultimate challenge of felting three purses in 16 days... roughly 5 days per purse, but one must factor in homework and work, etc. Do-able? I sure hope so!

No comments: